We’re now in February, the second month of this year-long challenge. This week I’m shelving one habit and will be adding in another to replace it, leaving me at five habits to work on building over the coming week. Read on to find out more about them!
The habits I’ve been trying to build so far are:
- Read daily
- I am ahead of schedule with my book reading, despite not having read at all this weekend. The book I am currently reading is very good! A good book definitely helps with finding the motivation to read. I think I will adapt this habit a bit and have it be a weekday only habit. In which case I feel comfortable shelving it, as I am consistently managing to read on weekdays. I’m doing so that I read on the bus on my way to work each morning. That allows me to free up some time on my break for doing other things.
- Go to bed on time
- Still not going brilliantly. Over the weekend we ended up going to bed very late, so my average fall asleep time for the week has actually gone in the wrong direction. I need to try and commit to this one better.
- Work before play
- Sort of. I still haven’t worked out a way to properly keep track of whether I’ve been doing this… I think I need to ban myself from Facebook unless I’ve completed all my tasks for a day, because I keep finding that I come home from work tired and end up sitting in front of my computer scrolling through Facebook mindlessly. And I mean that quite literally. Most of my interaction there is just scrolling. It’s purposeless. I think if I prevent myself from that I should do a bit better at this habit.
- Brush Lola’s teeth
- I managed this on Monday, Tuesday, Saturday and today. That’s a vast improvement over last week. I think the key is to try and do them in the morning, because then she’s awake and active. Otherwise if I wait until I get home she is inevitably asleep, and only wakes when I’m busy with other things, and then when it’s bedtime I just want to sleep and not have to deal with her teeth! So I will try to add brushing her teeth to my morning routine and see if that improves the success rate.
- Communicate more
- Yes and no. Mostly no. I didn’t write to any of my pen pals, or contact any of the old friends that I’m thinking of trying to reconnect with. But I did Skype with both my parents this week, initiate some more communication with one of my brothers, and made a bit more time to chat with a good friend. I feel this is a very important habit because with my introversion I tend to isolate myself quite a bit. So I will keep working at it.
Habits to add:
- Get up on time
- I tend to snooze my alarms. So I want to try and get in the habit of getting up with my first alarm. I’ve actually been doing a good job of getting up this weekend at least, but that’s mostly because Sampson starts pestering around the time I need to get up… Part of my problem with getting up with the alarms is that I set them slightly too early, because I know that I will snooze them and not get up until later… Also I’m kind of hoping that if I do a better job of getting up it might help me with getting my sleep schedule correct for going to sleep on time too.
- Colour daily
- I actually finished the page in my colouring planner on Monday. It was a fairly simple one, as you can see. I somehow didn’t remember to put my colouring book in my bag all week so didn’t work on that the other days… But I did do colouring for cards on most of the other days.
- Adding now – Read on weekdays