Daily Post Prompt December 5th – Five Items: A classic question, revisited: what are the five items you must have on a desert island?
Does my husband count? No? Well that’s not fair!
I’m going to go about this two ways.
Things that would be useful to have with me:
- A knife, such as a machete. Useful for hunting for food, preparing food, defending myself, opening coconuts, diggings holes, cutting non-food things like trees and stuff for making shelter.
- A tinderbox. A flint and firesteel are more useful than matches, because I would eventually run out of matches… Of course I would run out of tinder from the tinder box, but I can probably use dried coconut husks at that point.
- A flare gun. This one is fairly obvious – it’s all very well seeing ships on the horizon and planes flying over, but a way to signal to them is vital.
- Spare clothes. With a spare set of clothes one lot can be washed and dried without me having to wait around naked. I would like to have clothes on when my rescuers arrive, after all…
- Writing implements. This one is perhaps less essential, but I believe writing would help keep track of time, maybe help retain some sanity, and give me something to do. When I’m not hunting for food, building shelter, lighting fires, signalling ships or washing my clothes.
Things I would want to have with me:
- My husband. I kind of already said this… Maybe you think it is cheesy but it is true. If I were stranded on a desert island I would rather we were stranded together. For one thing, it’s great to have company. An extra person helps problem solving, and though it does mean another mouth to feed I think the warm cuddles on cold nights would make up for it.
- My cats. Similar reasons to the husband. Cuddles and warmth and all that. Plus cats are good at hunting.
- Books! Lots of books. For reading. Or just a kindle, with a solar charger so it didn’t run out. And somehow magically an internet connection in order to be able to access all the books possible. Although with an internet connection I can’t imagine we would be stuck on the island for very long!
- A fridge. Again, solar charge to keep it running. I don’t want to have to be killing and gutting things every time I want some meat. Nor do I want to have to eat a whole wild boar (or whatever) in a few hours because otherwise it would rot in the sun… No, preserving food would be far preferable.
- Um… writing things again I guess. Same reasons as in the list of useful items!
There you have it. I’m sure I will continue to think about this over the next few hours, perhaps even days, and come up with other things that I would want to have with me… But this is at least what I could think of off the top of my head!
What five items would you want with you if you were trapped on a desert island? Is there anything I listed that you could definitely go without?